Winnebago County Animal Services offers the following pet tips for the holidays.
Christmas Trees: Put your tree in a pet safe area of your home. Pets, especially cats, are attracted to the shiny strands of tinsel and the flickering lights, which may be harmful if swallowed or chewed. Water in your tree stand can be toxic. Breakable or small ornaments can be hazardous to both pets and small children. Greenery, mistletoe, poinsettia, and other plants can also be dangerous to your pet and cause digestive upset, allergic reaction, or something more serious.
Christmas Candy: Holiday candy, chocolate, and candy wrappers can be toxic to your pet. Dark chocolate is the most toxic.
Holiday Feast: Be sure to keep your pet on its regular diet during the holidays. If your pet is not used to table scraps, then it may cause digestive upset or diarrhea. Turkey bones can be especially dangerous. Keep alcoholic drinks out of the reach of pets, too.
Visiting Relatives: Your pet can be stressed by having extra people in your home. Be sure to give your pet a quiet place to get away from the excitement. Children should always be supervised around pets. Make sure your pet doesn't escape through an open door or gate, and keep identification on your pet at all times.
Anti-freeze: Keep anti-freeze out of the reach of pets and children. The sweet taste can be a fatal attraction.